VCU charges mandatory fees to students to pay for items not covered by tuition, including technology support, universitywide events, recreational activities and athletics — all of which help create your full VCU experience.
Mandatory fees are required for all full- and part-time students on both campuses. Full-time students pay a flat rate. Part-time students pay a per-credit-hour rate. Students are required to pay mandatory fees each semester. Rates vary based on student classification and enrollment.
What is included in the mandatory fees?
- University fee: Supports recreational sports facilities, University Student Commons, campus development, career and counseling centers, student disability and student services center, intercollegiate athletics and other programs; full-time students pay a flat rate and part-time students pay a per-credit-hour rate
- Library fee: Sustains 24-hour services in James Branch Cabell Library, expands hours at the Tompkins-McCaw Library for the Health Sciences, strengthens digital tools and supports operating costs for VCU Libraries; full-time students pay a flat rate and part-time students pay a per-credit-hour rate
- Technology fee: Supports universitywide technological initiatives; full-time students pay a flat rate and part-time students pay a per-credit-hour rate
- Campus Learning Center fee (freshmen, sophomores and juniors): Supports tutors, supplemental instruction leaders and writing consultants for undergraduates
- Activity fee: This fee supports educational, social, cultural and other student activities for undergraduate, graduate and professional students. These activities include the Student Government Association, sports clubs, student organizations, and publications; full-time Monroe Park Campus students pay a flat rate and part-time students pay a per-credit-hour rate and MCV students pay a flat rate based on part-time or full-time enrollment.
- Health fee (optional for part-time students): Covers unlimited visits to University Student Health Services, after-hours phone advice for urgent medical problems and most laboratory tests, but does not cover accidental injury, emergency room visits or hospitalization; part-time students who opt in must pay full fee
- Capital outlay fee (nonresident, on-campus students): As required by the State Appropriation Act, revenue used to reimburse the Virginia College Building Authority and the State Treasury Board; full-time students pay a flat rate and part-time students pay a per-credit-hour rate.
Mandatory student fees for 2020-21, including increase year over year
|University strategic initiatives and contingency||$224||$162|
|Parking and Transportation||$79||$94|
|Student union and recreational sports||$601||$646|
|Health service fee||$224||$224||$0||0%|
|Student activity fee||$90||$90||$0||0%|
|Total mandatory fees (resident)||$2,502||$2,616||$114||+4.6%|
|Capital outlay fee (nonresident only)||$660||$690||$30||+4.5%|
|Total mandatory fees (nonresident)||$3,162||$3,306||$144||+4.6%|
Specifically for 2020-21, the funds from mandatory fee increases will support:
- VCU Libraries annual increases for subscriptions to scholarly journals
- Debt service
For a listing of the distribution of Student Activity fees, refer to the Distribution of Student Activity Fees FY 2020.
VCU reserves the right to revise or alter all tuition and fees costs, regulations and collection procedures at any time.